Weekly Photo

Weekly Photo
Orange

Monday 23 April 2012

Spring

Spring has arrived and I think it's safe to say that both Harold and I have never been as happy to see the green grass growing and to feel the warmth of the sun on our skin, as we are this year.

Springtime brings thoughts of love, feelings of hope, and an appreciation for life as you watch green plants push their way through dark brown earth, encouraged to grow by the warm sun and soft rain.  It reminds us that while life is sometimes hard and sad, there is plenty of beauty to be found.

On Saturday the sun was out bright and warm, and when I arrived home from my early morning appointment I found Harold already outside preparing to mow the lawn.  He had stumbled on my to-do list while I was out and knowing how much I loathe cutting the grass, had decided to do that chore for me.

He pulled the dusty lawnmower from the shed, checking and replenishing the oil and gas levels, found my gardening tools in about 3 seconds when he overheard me whining that I couldn't find them and began the tedious process of cutting our already "too-long" grass.  I tended to my unimpressive but much-loved flower beds; cutting away the old growth, clearing out brown leaves, and digging up weeds.  I was sweating, the rose bush drew blood and my legs ached from squatting but I realized that for the first time in weeks I was happy.  

I took a quick break and joined our shepherd Hannah who was sunbathing on the deck.   I sat on the edge of the deck, feet dangling over the side, sweat on my forehead.  It didn't take long for Hannah to come over and lay down beside me, rolling on to her back so as to encourage me to rub her belly.  I obliged, running my hand over her belly, marveling at how thick her fur was and how warm it was from the sun.  I watched my husband mow the lawn, patiently pushing the lawn mower back and forth across the yard while our chihuahua Dexter trailed behind him. 

I closed my eyes, lifted my face to the sun and thought about how difficult life has been for us over the past 4 months.  Car troubles, plumbing troubles, mice infestations, and a lung infection/virus that just wouldn't quit. 

My brother became seriously ill requiring a hospital stay for him and an unexpected trip to Edmonton for me.

And then in April, Harold's dad, a man loved and respected and now, so missed, passed away. He died peacefully; surrounded by the people who loved him. 

A hard 4 months.  Full of worry and fear; sadness and loss.

Life just gets you down sometimes doesn't it?   The stress over finances, children, jobs, the death of a loved one, feels too heavy of a burden.   You start to forget the good; to fear that there is nothing happy left for you to reach for.

On Saturday I was reminded in so many small, meaningful ways, that life can be beautiful.

The prettiness of the flowers that my Jess sent us:

The pop of colour where previously there was only green:



The bright yellow blossoms of the forsythia bush.

The discovery that my beloved bleeding heart plant had survived the winter:

The sun-warmed fur of an old dog:

The first bbq of the season:

We all have small things that make us happy don't we?  Sometimes they're lost to us and we have to find them again.  On that Saturday I was so grateful for all the little things that made me happy that day.  But mostly I'm thankful that I could find happiness again with something as simple as watching the man I love cut the grass, while a small brown dog followed faithfully at his heels.

2 comments:

  1. Oh kelly i love you and I truly love your post,it made me smile,reflect and yes......happy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a perfect post. You are a very smart lady. :)

    ReplyDelete